The Customs Declaration Service
HM Revenue and Customs recently announced that the Customs Declaration Service (CDS) will fully replace the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system by 31st March 2023. Services on CHIEF will be withdrawn in two stages:
- After 30 September 2022 the ability to make import declarations on CHIEF will end and you must move all your import declarations to CDS.
- After 31 March 2023 the ability to make export declarations on CHIEF and the National Export System (NES) will end and you must move all your export declarations to CDS.
Heritage International Freight Ltd is already in the final stages of testing for migration to CDS and as such have completed much of the preparation work on your behalf already.
What we now need you to do, if you haven’t already done so, is register for access to CDS via the Government Gateway platform and authorise Heritage International Freight Ltd as your customs Agent.
These are necessary steps that all importers/exporters must take to continue moving goods in and out of the UK once the CDS is rolled out – best to get this done now.
Register for a Government Gateway account (if you don’t already have one)
Most businesses will already have a Government Gateway account to access their personal and/or business tax account. You should use this same account to access the Customs Declaration Service (CDS).
If you do not have one, you can register for a Government Gateway account here.
Register for the Customs Declaration Service (CDS)
Use this link to register for the Customs Declaration Service this can take up to 5 working days.
You’ll need your Government Gateway user ID and password as well as:
- – Your GB EORI number
- – Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number – you can find this here
- – Address of your business held on customs records
- – Your National Insurance number (if you’re an individual or sole trader)
- – The date you started your business
Already registered for the Customs Declaration Service (CDS)
IF THE GOVERNMENT GATEWAY STATES YOU HAVE ALREADY REGISTERED FOR ACCESS PREVIOUSLY THEN PLEASE PROCEED TO THE
NEXT STAGE VIA THIS LINK: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/customs/payment-records
Authorise Heritage International Freight Ltd (UK) Customs Services Ltd to act as your customs Agent
Once your CDS registration is complete the next important thing to do is re-authorise Heritage International Freight Ltd to act as your customs Agent on this new customs platform. You need to:
- – Go to your Customs Financial Dashboard and login
- – Click Manage Your Account Authorities
– The next screen will show any existing authorities you have listed by company EORI number. To add a new company such as Heritage International Freight Ltd please click on the green button
– Our EORI number is GB877080986000 and you should enter this in the field below.
The next question asks if you wish to grant this company access to use either a cash or duty deferment account depending on what is applicable to you. Please tick all boxes.
– Now they want you to confirm the EORI number is correct or may show you the company details to verify.
– Finally they are asking for a start date and we would recommend you start this from today.
– This next question will relate to whether or not you want us to be able to view the available balance of any deferment or other cash account with HMRC. If you select No we will still be able to process the declaration as normal.
– Finally please complete your details
– A final screen will show with an overview of all your answers to the questions. Once you are happy this is correct please click the green button
Please ensure that upon
completion the above steps you email us on email@example.com to confirm this has been done v
so we can verify everything is place for you and advise on the final steps.
Need Help? Call Our Award-Winning Support Team (44) 208 569 2050
Providing Excellent Customer Service Since 1997
Lets Talk About Your Logistics Needs